04 December 2012

weaving seats

My chair making project made it’s most remarkable single day advancement since the day the ash tree that that I made the chairs from was cut down! Yesterday I wove the seats of both chairs (mostly).  Here’s what I did.

P1010099First a loop the cotton tape is sewn fast to the rear rung and is then looped around the front & rear rungs as shown above.  When the wooden slats are removed the tape has a bit of needed slack.

P1010101

With the front-to-back part (the “warp”) completed it’s time to insert the foam chair pad.  Sue made red cloth covers for the pads.

P1010102

Weaving the tape side-to-side (the “weft”) doesn't go nearly so quickly as the warp.  I used the thin wood strip in the photo above as a shuttle to speed things along.

P1010103

The center section is completed!  The triangular shaped areas on both sides have been filled in with short pieces of the tape and only need to be sewn fast before the chairs are finished.  I’ll post photos once those loose ends have been tied up.

cheers – dj

1 comment: